Friday, December 2, 2016

Struggles With Reading The Bible In One Year

I have been trying for a few years now to read the entire Bible in one year. I have tried several different plans and I just can't stick with any of them because I feel like when I read several chapters a day, I come away feeling so empty and defeated because I don't remember most of what I read. I feel like people are always encouraging Christians to read their Bible in one year. Why? What's the point? Where did this idea come from? Am I less of a Christian if I don't do it? Are we, as a society, in such a hurry to the point of feeling like we need to rush through the Word of God? That's what I feel like I am doing when I try to do these plans. It's like we have come up with this game of Bible reading so that we can pat ourselves on the back because we were spiritual enough to read the Bible in one year. I have struggled with this for such a long time because it is talked about so much that it's to the point where I feel like a failure because I haven't been able to do it.

I am not trying to bash anyone who does read their Bible in one year. If you are someone who can remember everything they read and meditate on it, that's great! I am not one of those people. I have to meditate on smaller passages in order to understand what I just read. I know that I will not always understand what I read, but I still don't want to feel like I am rushing through the Book that I love so much. Has anyone else struggled with this? How do you study the Bible every day? Please comment below as I would love some suggestions! Thanks for reading my rant!

2 comments:

  1. I am one of those jerks who does read through it in a year. *blush* It's something that my church instigated in 2008 or so - we started mid-year, partly as a way to remind ourselves that it's not about getting it all done in a year, it's about getting IN to the Word. It's great for people who perpetually just "don't know where to start."

    I've done it every year since, with my motivation being that I want to just read it over and over, get the context, see how the pieces fit together, just KNOW it better. I use this one: http://tinyurl.com/hdv9xbm. 25 days a month, you read a small passage in a gospel, a NT letter, a poetry book, and a larger passage in the OT.

    But to answer your question honestly, yeah. All too often, it's about reading and there's not a lot that reaches out and grabs me or comes to mind later. I don't know what to do about that besides allowing more time. Either daily, or... if you like the idea of getting that big picture but you want to take longer... well, shoot. TAKE LONGER! Check off two boxes a day instead of four, and allow yourself a 2-year span. Or 3. Or 4. I don't personally care for "Bible study" books... I'd rather be in the Bible myself and meditate on it without the extra noise, so I'm not of any use in recommending an alternative to just reading it. But don't feel like you're pressured to conform to a set time schedule.

    Love you dearie. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dessi! No, I don't think people who do this are jerks. It's just that some have left me with the impression that I'm not a good Christian if I don't do it. I was really just saying that it has never worked for me. I think I just get overwhelmed with the amount of reading because I read very slow. I totally see the reasoning and benefits behind it. I'm not a fan of Bible Study books either. Just give me the Bible! Love you!

    ReplyDelete